Sunday, April 6, 2008

Oh and D totally almost got bit by a rattlesnake

See, the thing is D and I have been working on all these things. A sitcom and a movie. We’ve been trying to keep it real, like, he’s always flying up from LA and we write all day long. We take lunch breaks and everything - like a real job. I have a real job. I’m a web development engineer. Mostly he flies up here to Oakland, but sometimes I fly down to LA and we write there. That’s what I did a few weeks ago.

Here’s the thing: He’s got this new girlfriend and a new place. I’d never been there before, but you know how it is when you, sort of, invade a friend’s world? It’s kind of amazing to see someone in a place you don’t usually see them or to see a good friend out of their element. I guess this was his element, but he looked like a fish out of water. He girlfriend is amazing, but it was funny watching him run around trying to make us both comfortable.

The thing with D is he’s this brilliant, good looking, charming guy right? He doesn’t really work. He dropped out of med school. He has a degree in physics or something, but what he really wants is to get paid to write. I do too. We’ll get paid to write soon enough, but I’m writing all this so you know how surprised I was when he picked me up at the airport and took me to his 3.5 million dollar mansion.

Fuck Yeah.

I guess he worked out some deal through a friend or his girlfriend’s friend where they could live in this mansion until it sells. His place was tight. It was all up in the hills of Topanga. There were rattlesnakes and coyotes and this wicked view. Miles of hills everywhere. We wrote twelve hours a day and once in a while it would hit us: If we wrote well enough this house could turn into our house. Not necessarily the house (i don’t want a big house), but it was like we were chipping away at a safe. Building towards our reward. On top of it.

His place was on this hill and you could see LA lighted in the valley at night. Nature and poison right there. Coyotes and hollywood. It was all right there and fuck if that didn’t motivate us.

On our last night we were driving up the dark windy road to his place and this owl flew past the windshield and perched (perched?) on the side of the road. Right next to us, like, ten feet away. I had never seen an owl that close up before and it was like it was posing for us. We stopped the car and just watched it for, maybe, five minutes. The thing had these huge eyes. It didn’t sweat us at all. It was, jesus I can’t believe i’m saying this, magical.

When it flew away we drove up the hill to D’s mansion and wrote our asses off.

**********************************************

Oh hey. J and I started a website. We write about video games. This is our site: www.yetihunt.com

No comments: